Selection of Awardees/Application Form
The Grants Application Form and Information for All Applicants (click to download) are distributed in September each year to schools and other suitable locations. Advertisements are also placed in the press and the Chairman visits schools and colleges to ensure that students are aware that applications for grants close on 30 November.
The Application Form requires details of family finances, school results, aspirations, interests, course to be studied and preferred tertiary institution.
Any student whose normal place of residence is in the area that is bounded by North Durras (north), Nelligen (west) and the Moruya River (south) and who is completing his or her secondary education (whether year 12 or earlier) or is pursuing an apprenticeship or traineeship, is eligible to apply if it is their intention to undertake in the following year:
- a course of study at an Australian university or college of higher learning on a full time basis; or
- a traineeship or apprenticeship involving attendance at TAFE or other college or where the student may be required to provide “tools of trade” and/or special clothing; or
- any other form of personal development including, but not restricted to, music, art, sport, invention or research.
As noted in the Information for All Applicants, applications are considered by a Selection Committee on the basis of:
- financial need of applicant and family;
- perceived future potential of the applicant; and
- relevant performance at school.
The scores from each Committee member are averaged and a panel of 3 is appointed to conduct interviews. By this method awards for the year are determined, the number being in accordance with funds available.
Applications for study grants close on 30 November each year. Applications for apprenticeship/traineeship grants may be lodged throughout the year.
Students undertaking a GAP YEAR are eligible to apply for a grant in the year immediately prior to recommencing studies.